Protein PACKED, low on fat, and a great source of carbs no matter what your nutrition goal is!
227g (8 oz) dry Red Lentil Pasta (it was one box of the kind I found)
450g Ground Turkey
1 Stalk of Celery
½ Red Onion
½ Red Pepper
½ Jar of Pasta Sauce (Look for one with no sugar added and a lot of veggies!)
1 Cup Skim Mozzarella (shredded)
** Please note: you can add ANY veggies you’d like to this! Spinach, artichoke hearts, more of the items I listed, less of some and more of others, whatever you like! Trust yourself! Have fun!
Also, there are multiple types of pasta with higher protein: lentil, chickpea, mung bean, etc. LOOK when you’re at the store, they have higher protein values and lower carb values. They’re often in the Whole Foods section of the grocery store!
- Pre-heat oven to 350 (if you’re eating it right away, if you’re making it for later, leave this step out)
- In a large pot, cook the pasta. Get the water boiling, add the pasta and boil until ready (8-10 minutes for the lentil pasta)
- Chop your veggies into small pieces. Start to fry the onions, carrots, celery and pepper. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the ground turkey to the frying pan. Season with Italian seasoning. Fry until cooked through, stirring often and breaking up the meat.
- Once the meat is cooked through (now would be the time to add spinach to wilt it), pour the pasta sauce over and mix.
- When pasta is done, drain and rinse with water. Put the pasta into the veggie, meat, pasta sauce mix and stir until combined.
- Grease a 9×11 baking dish with a little bit of Pam. Pour the pasta/meat sauce mix into the pan.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until the cheese is brown and everything is warm and gooey!
- Sprinkle with fresh, finely chopped basil and ENJOY!